There are two ways of printing. These methods are used as a thermal print head that applies heat to the surface being marked.
Direct ThermalDirect thermal labels have a special heat-activated layer on their surface. This is where the print head the black printed image will be formed when the heated print head gets in contact with the labels. Advantages :
- It is cost-effective because it doesn’t require any ink or ribbon.
- We can easily maintain DT.
- It is ideal for short-term and high-volume label printing.
- It can save our time because doesn’t require a ribbon.
- It can only print in black
- Direct thermal label is heat sensitive
- Excessive light can fade the label.
- It is low scratch resistance
- Labels fade within 6 to 12 months.
Thermal transferThe printer uses a ribbon which is a thin film that is wound on a roll and a special black coating on one side. The coating is typically made up of a wax or resin formulation. Thermal transfer is durable, long-lasting on a wide variety of materials. Advantage:
- It prints accurate and clear edges definition.
- Able to print in multi-colors which is useful for branding and logos
- High scratch resistance
- Ribbon require additional cost
- Wrinkled ribbon can lessen the print quality
- Ribbon change-over require additional time for printing